The Social Entrepreneur’s Playbook
Pressure Test, Plan, Launch and Scale Your Social Enterprise, Expanded Edition
Available for the First Time: The complete Social Entrepreneur’s Playbook covers all three phases of the start-up to scale-up process, developed with reader feedback from “one of the more unusual ebook…experiments of the year” (ThinReads)
Wharton professor Ian C. MacMillan and Dr. James Thompson, director of the Wharton Social Entrepreneurship Program, provide a tough-love approach that significantly increases the likelihood of a successful social enterprise launch in the face of the high-uncertainty conditions typically encountered by social entrepreneurs.
MacMillan and Thompson used their own systematic framework to publish The Social Entrepreneur’s Playbook. To test the market, they offered the first phase in their start-up method (step 1) as a free ebook. Readers were invited to join The Social Entrepreneur’s Advisory Group, and nearly 300 aspiring and active social entrepreneurs shared feedback that helped shape the complete edition of the book, which covers all three steps in the start-up to scale-up process.
Based on this crowd-sourced feedback from readers of the free ebook and drawing on the authors’ more than 26 years’ combined experience developing and studying social enterprises in the field across Africa and in the United States, this new edition provides guidance for each phase:
- Phase One: Pressure Test Your Start-Up Idea. Based on the free ebook, this expanded section now includes advice on setting revenue and social impact goals, how to navigate the sociopolitical landscape, and how to develop a strong concept statement. In addition, MacMillan and Thompson provide advice on how to identify and test a proposed revenue-generating solution and define and segment your target population.
- Phase Two: Plan Your Social Enterprise. All new to this edition, this critical phase shows you how to frame and scope the venture, determine what it will take to actually deliver a sustainable enterprise, identify the key assumptions that have been made, and design checkpoints to test those assumptions before making major investments.
- Phase Three: Launch and Scale Your Social Enterprise. Available for the first time in this edition, you will learn how to effectively launch your enterprise, manage upside potential and downside risk, and strategically scale up.
Filled with accessible frameworks and tools, as well as inspiring stories of social entrepreneurs, The Social Entrepreneur’s Playbook is a must-read for any aspiring or active social entrepreneur, as well as philanthropists, foundations, and nonprofits interested in doing more good with fewer resources.
Pay It Forward
If you have found The Social Entrepreneur’s Playbook helpful, please consider paying it forward.
- Provide a Social Entrepreneur You Know with the Ebook: A few ebook retailers will allow you to gift a copy of the book for as little as $6.99. To gift a copy of the ebook, visit Amazon, Apple, or Ebooks.com.
- Two for One: Buy a copy of the ebook for yourself, and we will distribute a second ebook to an aspiring or active social entrepreneur or impact organization we select. https://ganxy.com/i/91566
- Share the Message Widely: If you wish to share the ebook with 25 or more people on your team, at an event, or with others, please contact Wharton Digital Press for a simple delivery solution and a 50% discount: $4.99 per ebook.
Just as MacMillan and Thompson developed the book based on reader feedback, they welcome your ideas on how to pay it forward. Please email the authors at Wharton Digital Press with your feedback and suggestions.
Wishing you all the best with your social enterprise!